Monday, September 23, 2013

A Life-Changing Hitchhiker

July 29, 2013

 Dear family and friends,

Wow, time just comes and goes! Another great week as a missionary under my belt, this week has been one of so many blessings, hard work, fun times, great people and memorable experiences. 

The beginning of the week was pretty normal with a great Preparation day, a great District Meeting on Tuesday and then after that our awesome week really began!
    
After district meeting on Tuesday we went and served an older lady who was excommunicated from the church as a young woman when she joined Pinesdale. She lived in a polygamist relationship, had 5 children but realized the mistake she has made... that polygamy is not to be lived at this time and there is no Priesthood authority there in Pinesdale. So she taught school for 49 years and raised all 5 of her children. We met her last week, we knocked her door not a minute too soon or too late. She had been praying for help and we arrived! We had a great visit, then served her Tuesday, because she can't do much. She has had 4 surgeries on her hip and it is very infected. After serving her we had a great discussion and she stated she wants to start coming back to church, we told her come to church with us... and she was there yesterday! And we assisted in giving her a blessing as she prepares for her 5th hip surgery. We look forward to helping her on her journey.
     
Wednesday we spent the entire day on our bikes because we are out of miles until August. We covered a lot of ground on the bikes and Elder Jones is doing awesome on a bike now days! We contacted an inactive man whose mother just passed away a month ago. We had a great conversation with him and hope it may go somewhere. Then we had a ward party for Pioneer Day and that was awesome getting to know the members better! And then Wednesday night one of our Zone Leaders arrived, Elder McLeod and he was with us till Sunday morning.
     
And the week just got better! Thursday we were miles from town on a back road looking for a less active lady when we decided to go talk to this lady sitting on her front porch. We talked for a good 20 minutes or so, we bore powerful testimony of the Book of Mormon and the true peace that comes from it as it serves as a 2nd witness of Jesus the Christ. It was amazing and Spirit was so strong but long story short she is now a new investigator who seems to be pretty promising, we have an appointment with her this week.
   
 Now to Friday... We had a great day but our highlight was teaching a man named Jamie who we found last week. The start of the lesson was hard because it was out on his front porch and he lives in town so their was many distractions but as I prayed for help I was able to bear my testimony of the Book of Mormon and we taught bits and pieces of the Restoration and invited him to be baptized as the Spirit was so strong and he accepted. We invited him to church and he said if he didn't have work he would be there (he didn't make it to church yesterday) but he seems very sincere and we have an appointment this week with him which made it 2 new investigators.
    
Then to Saturday! We went to a big event called Daly Days in downtown Hamilton where vendors, booths, games, etc lined the streets. We taught 5 lessons in the streets and talked to many. As well as found new investigator number 3, his name is Tom and we have an appointment with him later this week as well. It was so awesome!
    
But another experience in the street we had that had an impact on me is what I want to share. Allow me to paint the picture for you... We were crossing the street as this young man about 18 years old was crossing and approaching us. Now this young man was holding some bags in his hands, his clothes were old, torn and dirty and he had a scraggly beard on his face. As we were crossing paths he says, "Hey can I hear a scripture or have a prayer or something?"  "Of course we can!" we respond. My companion Elder McLeod shared a scripture from 3 Nephi when Christ heals the children and we then bore testimony that it is through Christ we can all be healed of anything. We asked him if he lived around there, he said, "No I'm a hitch hiker, all I have is these clothes, and a pack." We asked him, "Do you have room in your pack for this Book of Mormon?" He told us he would love one and would read it and pray about it. Then we went our separate ways. 

So "why such an impact on me?" you may ask... Because of what occurred as he walked away. As he walked away my eyes welled up with tears and I felt true Christ like love for a stranger who I didn't even know his name. I saw him as God sees him and for who he can become. My heart was full and all I wanted was to help him more. That night I prayed for the hitchhiker... What an experience it was for me, what a blessing.
     
Sunday was another great day, an opportunity to partake of the sacrament and renew my covenants with God and with my Savior Jesus Christ. I know this is His church, that it is through our Redeemer all truly can be healed. What a blessing it is to take that message to all... I love every minute of every day. These last 6 months have been hard, really hard at times, but oh how worth it. 

I look forward to my next 18 months, it will all come to end way too fast, I can see that already but I will make the best I can of each day. Love each and every one of you and am thankful for your prayers and support!
    
Love, Elder Organ

P.S. Taylor Gerber who I have written about the last couple months is getting baptized this Saturday! More details to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment